Thoughts, notes, observations on the everyday nonsense of American Pop Culture from one of the most not-hip people on the face of the planet...

Monday, April 11, 2005

It IS hip to be square

Do you ever miss the fashion attitude of the 80s?

Wait - let me explain that.

Not the stupid trends that the 80s will always be remembered for, like Flock of Seagulls haircuts, leg warmers, loud prints and Mermuda shorts (all of which are inexplicably 'back')...but the fashion of successful mainstream 80s America?

I'm talking about yuppie appreciation, the love of money and clothes that cost lots of money. I'm talking about a time period where it was a good thing to wear dressy, classy new clothes instead of having your coolness defined by how homeless you look or that everything you own came from Goodwill.

I want the 1980s America of American Psycho, Bonfire of the Vanities and Wall Street, where men wore suits and did coke in fancy bathrooms and women had short hair and long legs. Granted, I wasn't old enough to see this America...but I have found myself romanticizing the era as the rest of my generation has spent too much time finding new ways to reject this perceived "excess".

It really is hip to be square, kids. Let's look it, at least. Suits, skirts, manicures, IKEA furniture, German cars and trance music....I want you back. No more trucker hats, bowling shoes or long, dirty hair. Let's relaunch the new age of vanity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

Mandy,

Have you ever seen Whit Stillman's The Last Days of Disco? It's set in the very early '80s but, judging by this post, I think it's something you might dig.

1:22 PM CDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home