Thoughts, notes, observations on the everyday nonsense of American Pop Culture from one of the most not-hip people on the face of the planet...

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Christianity and TV

This week, MSNBC and NBC News have a series about Christians and Hollywood that has sparked my interest. Christian group after Christian group has been brought into Brian Williams’ lair to say how they think Christian values and morals have been ignored…..on television.

While they may have a point with movies, I really don’t think they have a leg to stand on with TV. If the ratings takeover by the generally conservative CBS dramas isn’t evidence enough, there’s a glut of so-called “family drama” that has populated the airwaves for as long as I can remember, ruining Friday and Saturday TV for agnostics everywhere.

Did these spokespeople never see “Life Goes On”, “Touched by an Angel”, “Highway to Heaven”, “Little House on the Prairie”, “Dr. Quinn”, “Picket Fences”, “Joan of Arcadia”, “Seventh Heaven”, “Providence,” “Judging Amy”, “Crossing Jordan”........etc. etc.

I thought there was plenty of good healthy moral TV out there. My mom made me watch it all of the damn time as a kid (in high school, I called it ”Must Pray TV”). From “The Waltons” to “Touched by an Angel”, she always would preface a viewing with, “This show has such a good message….”

Am I missing something?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home