Thoughts, notes, observations on the everyday nonsense of American Pop Culture from one of the most not-hip people on the face of the planet...

Sunday, March 20, 2005

It's time for a rant about....Sarah Jessica Parker

It's officially driving me crazy.

First of all, as anyone who knows me knows, I can't stand Sarah Jessica Parker.

Well, not her personally so much as what she supposedly represents to my generation of women. She and "Sex in the City" is somehow supposed to be some girl power movement that all girls between 19 and 25 just fall over over themselves to emulate. That somehow, being a big slut and wearing designer clothes means you're "empowered" and "independent" instead of, you know, actually attempting to establish a personality and lifestyle different from everyone else.

She is somehow supposed to be a youthful sex symbol - and that confuses me. She isn't very attractive, no more attractive than most women I know on a personal basis (in other words, she isn't out-of-this-world). She isn't very young (she's 39). And her only real accomplishment is "Sex in the City" (unless you count being married to Matthew Broderick as a plus, which I don't). Why are we young women supposed to want to be like her? I just have no idea.

But anyway, her recent string of Gap commercials have been unlikable at best...but the latest is just too freaking much. Her walking the streets of what is presumably New York singing "I Enjoy Being a Girl" makes me not only unable to fight the inborn girl habit to sing along...but it brings up a bevy of rants that drive me past annoyance into anger:

You aren't a girl. You're actually only six years younger than my MOTHER. How long are you going to ride the "Sex in the City" wave? When you're 40, are you still going to be the unelected symbol of my generation? Why are Gap khakis any more girlish than anyone else's? If you're so successful, why are you hawking everything from clothes to perfume to hair dye? Why did you make "Honmeymoon in Vegas"? Why?!?!?

/rant

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

39 is old?

~ howyadoin

2:25 AM CST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not what most people would call "young".

4:13 AM CST

 
Blogger MandyJ said...

28 is old for a woman in Hollywood these days. And its definitely too old for me, at 24, to want to idolize her. Somehow, she's supposed to appeal to colllege girls who ae even younger...

1:22 PM CST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home