Thoughts, notes, observations on the everyday nonsense of American Pop Culture from one of the most not-hip people on the face of the planet...

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Current Rotation: March 6

I realized this weekend that I haven't posted a mix CD in months. Turns out that's because I stopped making them after joining the legion of iPod users. So now it's the current rotation. New, improved and set up for downloaders everywhere.

(Now in smaller doses!)
****

"Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode: It's a known fact that once you hear a Depecha Mode song, you won't be able to get it out of your head for days. That's the thing about trance backbeats and reptitive lyrics....it haunts you. But it's awesome.

Best lyrics:All I ever wanted, all I ever needed, is here in my arms....


"Scars" by Papa Roach: Typically I would write Papa Roach off as one of the anonymous Cock Rock bands of 2001. But this song has just the right arena guitar to bring what are actually great lyrics into a perfect pitch for those of us weaned on Bon Jovi.

Best lyric: GO FIX YOURSEEEEEEEELLLLFFFFFF!!!!! (screamed- awesome)

"All These Things That I Have Done" by the Killers: Part 80s Britpop, part summer song and part Baptist soul- this one's sure to kick out your windows when the sun finally comes out this spring.

Best lyric: I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.


"One Headlight" by the Wallflowers: This song is hands-down one of the best singles of the 1990s, made by a great band with a famous frontman who just happens to be the ridiculously hot son of a famous singer who he happens to sound just like. With guitar, organ, drums and a low growl of a voice like Jakob Dylan's...it's hard to believe this song didn't have an effective follow-up.

Best lyric: I'm so alone, and I feel just like somebody else. Man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same...


"American Music" by the Violent Femmes: The Femmes are something of an acquired taste, but once you taste it, it's a helluva lotta fun. Yes, the same group that brought you the Best Song Ever Made About Masturbation has another song made for drunk singalongs.

Best lyric: You were born too late, I was born too soon. But every time I look at that ugly moon....it reminds me of you...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home