Thoughts, notes, observations on the everyday nonsense of American Pop Culture from one of the most not-hip people on the face of the planet...

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

RIP my DVR

I'm here today to say goodbye to a friend. We have known each other for less than a year, but we got so close so fast. I never thought I'd have to say goodbye. So when my DVR died last night, I at first was in a state of denial, thinking maybe - just maybe- I'd wake up today and see that it'd recovered life. But I was wrong. Now I sit here in shock after the Time Warner operator has officially declared my DVR lifeless.

Oh DVR, I feel you knew me better than I know myself. You knew to record only the 1 am showing of "Family Guy" (not the 10:00) and remembered every day to record "X-Men". You brought me "30 Days" and "Over There", shows I likely would not have watched if not for your recording services. You kept the entire season of "Jack and Bobby" safe for my future viewing pleasure. And your constant supply of "Robot Chicken", "Crank Yankers" and "Shorties Watching Shorties" insured I’d never have to sit here and be bored by bad daytime TV. But now all of these shows are gone with you.

Sure, tomorrow morning a Time Warner technician will take your carcass away and provide me with a new DVR box…but it just won’t be the same. This one will have to be told to record every new episode of "The Daily Show". This one won’t have 37 episodes of "X-Men" of Dave Chappelle's "Killn' 'Em Softly." I’ll have to actually remember what time my shows are on just to set the new DVR up to mimic you. I’ll have to build a collection of great television all over again. It just isn’t fair.

I know now that I shouldn’t have taken you for granted. I should have made efforts to watch all of the shows you so lovingly recorded for me right away. Now I have to live with the fact that you died before I could watch Sunday’s "American Dad" or last Thursday’s "Daily Show". I feel horrible.

Tomorrow I’ll weep and rail against the technician as he hauls you away. I know eventually (likely by Friday) I’ll have accepted your fate (and the loss of my shows). But tonight, when I perch on my couch after work, I’ll be forced to watch the pure crap that is live television at 2 am. And I’ll miss you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home