Thoughts, notes, observations on the everyday nonsense of American Pop Culture from one of the most not-hip people on the face of the planet...

Friday, June 24, 2005

AFI missed a few

AFI picks the best movie lines? Not quite.

Yes, the American Film Institute, once again, thinks it is the end-all-be-all of movies and decided to make some sort of list meant to resonate as “the truth” throughout pop culture. I agree with it, for the most part. The top 10, especially makes sense when you take movie history into account.

But I think the AFI was stuck in its own age group a bit too much, because if they made this list the most quoted movie quotes, it’d be quite a bit different. Many of these movies I’ve never seen and I don’t think even permeated culture enough for any lasting quotability (c’mon Animal Crackers?) So, I present to you a few of long lost quoted quotables for your consideration:

  • “These aren’t the droids you’re looking for – move along.” And/or “That’s no moon…. it’s a space station.” – Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars
  • “I recommend you start drinking heavily.” – Bluto, Animal House
  • “This is where Cameron goes berserk.” – Ferris Bueller, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
  • “You're out of your element Donny!” Walter, The Big Lebowski
  • “I’m not even supposed to be here today!” – Dante, Clerks
  • “I am a Golden God. I dig music. And I’m on drugs!” – Russell, Almost Famous
  • “Stuntcock!” – Everyone, Orgazmo
  • “I swear to god, I'll pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans!”- Chief O’Hagen, Super Troopers (but it’s hard to pick just one!)
  • "I do believe you have my stapler..." - Milton, Office Space
  • “The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.” – Jules, Pulp Fiction (another tough one)
  • “How many assholes are on this ship, anyway?” – Dark Helmet, Spaceballs
  • “It’s twue! It’s twue!” - Lili von Schtup, Blazing Saddles
  • "You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig." - Man With No Name, The Good, the bad and the ugly
  • "Well, you may run like Mays, but you hit like shit." - Lou Brown, Major League

    OK….that’s enough for now. If I listed every movie I regularly reference, I’d be writing all day. What would you add?

  • 3 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    When I first read the list of Nominees the first thing I thought of is why there was no The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly quotes on there.

    In fact, it was the exact quote listed in your addendum that I first thought of.

    I could kiss you Mandy Jenkins, but that would just be a bad deal all around, wouldn't it?

    -Thomas Nix

    2:36 PM CDT

     
    Blogger MandyJ said...

    It's one of my all-time favorite lines, mostly because my fmaily watches it at least twice a year.

    8:27 PM CDT

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sorry. Had to mention some of my favorite lines from Dogma, one of which I've used a lot recently:

    "I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that fucked-up bar."
    — Jay

    "No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air."
    — Azrael

    "You're his father, you sick fuck."
    — Loki

    10:14 AM CDT

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home