Thoughts, notes, observations on the everyday nonsense of American Pop Culture from one of the most not-hip people on the face of the planet...

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

No Doubt at one time did not pose

I was driving to the gym today when my faithful alternative station surprised me by playing No Doubt's "Spiderwebs" from 1995's Tragic Kingdom.

It made me feel bad for hating them so damn much in recent years. I once loved them so.

Because at one time, No Doubt wasn't out to imitate every form of music in the world. They were ska, and they were awesome. The music was fun, poppy and wacky. Remember ska? Too bad it had to die off in mainstream music. And too bad No Doubt had to become Gwen Stefani and Some Dudes trying to be the Beatles.

It's just a shame that dreck like "Hey Baby" and "Hella Good" have become No Doubt as opposed to "Ex-Girlfriend," "Excuse Me Mr." and, of course, "Just a Girl." I blame Gwen Stefani's star complex. And her tendency to intentionally sound like Betty Boop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home