Thoughts, notes, observations on the everyday nonsense of American Pop Culture from one of the most not-hip people on the face of the planet...

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Grammy time already?

If you are a sentimental fool or 14 years old, the Grammy nomination committee wants you.

That's not to say that I don't agree with many/most of this year's nominees...but I'm getting really tired of the "magical multiple nomination for whoever died this year" trend. If someone deserves an award, give it to them when they're alive, dammit. Giving make-up awards post-mortem is degrading and stupid.

And I hate to say it cause I'm guilty as hell of bobbing my head to it...but how is Usher and Lil' Jon's "Yeah!" not the pop culture joke of the year as opposed to nominee for Record of the Year? Yes, because of popularity and a staggering takeover by pop and hip-hop, rock and roll once again ceased to be released this year. Sure Modest Mouse, Green Day and Franz Ferdinand made appearances.....but hip-hop dominates again (and it wasn't exactly a stellar year for hip-hop). Usher, Alicia Keys and Kanye West are not the only good artists out there and the Grammys know it...but top 40 radio gives them an excuse to not go beyond the charts.

As per usual, I'll give my precitions and thoughts (whether you want them or not) closer to the occasion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home