Thoughts, notes, observations on the everyday nonsense of American Pop Culture from one of the most not-hip people on the face of the planet...

Monday, November 08, 2004

Don't call it a comeback...

...cause I never left. Actually, I've spent the past coupla months channeling all of my creative energy and writing abilities into politics and had very little left over at the end of the day to lavish my affection for pop culture upon the WWW. But it's over.

I'm not the only one making a comeback, it seems good music has too. What the Hell happened to radio in the past coupla of months? Out of seemingly nowhere, new groups and old favorites have come out of the woodwork to revive rock and make radio fun again.

Rock is back. I know I called the death of alt rock...but it seems I was premature (there, I admitted it, I was wrong). It's an early 90s revival on the airwaves and alt rock is back in a big way. Indie rock seems to be making it mainstream faster and the music is getting better all of the time, as is evidenced by the fast-rocketing careers (and hit singles) of bands like Franz Ferdinand, The Killers and oft-ignored Modest Mouse.

A lot of this revival has to do with the "comeback" of 90s staples such as Green Day, Marilyn Manson and Stone Temple Pilots.GNR (in the form of supergourp Velvet Revolver). I say "comeback" because while these people never really left (except for Mase, who just popped back up outta the pulpit to rap again), they just...well, let's be frank...they went through suckage eras. Radio forgot them...and suddenly, somehow, my little brother in high school is telling me how he and his friends are all about Green Day and have I heard of them?

Even the constants are serving it up like its 1994. U2 drops its first new album in three years tomorrow, riding the coattails of the rock-the-fuck-out single "Vertigo." Eminem is poised to drop another hit-filled monster of a record thanks to his surefire club hit "Just Lose It" (accompanied, as always, by a highlarious video). Even the wildly overexposed Gwen Stefani has gone solo and somehow managed a single that's much better than her derivative crap of past years.

In short, it's a good time to be FM rock. Now, if only pop radio would notice....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home