Thoughts, notes, observations on the everyday nonsense of American Pop Culture from one of the most not-hip people on the face of the planet...

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The much-ballyhooed return of The Fugees

I don't know if you have heard the oft-advertised new single from the Fugees, "Take it Easy." Yes - it's that one from the Verizon commercial.

I was elated to hear the Fugees were getting back together - but this was not what I expected. After years of crafting solo careers and reuniting as a sort of supergroup version of their former selves - the Fugees return as latter-day shadows of their former sound.

I don't know if it is the reliance on backbeats and sound effects, the somewhat-stumbling overlapping of voices or the goofiness - but Lauryn, Pras and Clef sound so new (and not in a good way). They sound like the Black Eyed Peas singing a cover of a Fugees song (and as much as I love the Peas - they ain't the Fugees circa 1998).

I haven't heard anything beyond the preview single - but I hope it isn't representative of their new work. Goofy dance-hop is not for the Fugees (past, present of future). A return to form (that would be that fabulous blend of soul, reggae and hip-hop) is what the music industry needs now - and what the Fugees can bank on for newfound success.

5 Comments:

Blogger 2fs said...

Thrice-ballyhooed by you anyway... (Bad Blogger interface...Bad!)

9:57 PM CST

 
Blogger MandyJ said...

Yeah, damn thing kept timing out.

*shakes fist at Blogger*

2:22 PM CST

 
Blogger West said...

I didn't think the Fugees made it as far as '98.

Anyway, they've given me little reason to be overly-enthused about their return. I've heard more about Lauryn's supposed extreme beef with 'Clef than anything.

In addition, I've got to mention that...
* Lauryn's skills impress me, but I can't see the guys bringing anything worthwhile to the table.
* I can't name a single Pras song besides Ghetto Supastar - and that's mostly thanks to Mya.
* Wyclef is one of the absolute worst entertainers I've ever had the misfortune to hear. I mean that.


Lauryn's debut album was far beyond the shiz. With that in-mind, I'll stop channel-surfing whenever I see her, but I may blow up the tv if 'Clef starts rappin'.

Ugh.

2:18 PM CST

 
Blogger MandyJ said...

I don't get the Clef hate. Sure Pras is the RIngo of the group, but no love for Clef? I think Wyclef is more behind the great sound of the Fugees than Lauryn, simply because he commands the beat (and I think he's a better writer). A nice voice is simply that (especially a nice voice occasionally used to spout racist nonsense).

12:40 PM CST

 
Blogger West said...

i've never heard any racist nonsense from lauryn. i've heard a ton of really, really, REALLY bad lyrics from 'clef, though.

the man takes corny to a whole new level. disguising it with patois ain't good enough for me.

just my opinion, of course. while i think a ton of his work is quite crappy, i don't claim to be the voice of objectivity and unbiased audio analysis.

11:46 PM CDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home